Undergraduate Social Work Funding

Social Work students should apply for their funding as soon as possible after applying for a course.

 Welsh Domiciled Students are able to apply for the following:

  • Tuition Fee Loan
  • Maintenance Grant
  • Maintenance Loan
  • Social Work Bursary (you will not be eligible for this if you are in receipt of financial incentive to train from your employer)
  • Practice Learning Opportunity Allowance (PLOA)
  • There may be other supplementary grants available depending on your circumstances.

To apply for the Social Work Bursary and the PLOA you need to apply to Social Care Wales.

There are a limited number of Social Work Bursaries available; therefore we would advise you to apply as soon as possible.

To apply for the tuition fee support and maintenance loan you will need to apply through the Student Finance Wales website.

English Domiciled students should contact Student Finance England and the NHS. 

Students who already have a degree and want to study the Social Work course are eligible to apply for the Maintenance Loan, Supplementary Grants, Social Work Bursary and PLOA. 2nd degree students will not be able to receive a Maintenance Grant and will be required to fund the tuition fees themselves. 

If you have additional circumstances, there may be additional support and funding available. For more information please visit our Student Plus webpage.