What is the Allies Programme?
Do you support LGBT+ equality at the university? Want to keep up to date with LGBT+ campaigns, events, and activities at the university? Join our LGBT+ Allies Programme!
What is the LGBT+ Allies Programme?
It's a simple mailing list that anyone at the university can join - staff, students, alumni, or visitors/supporters. Programme members receive bi-monthly email updates about LGBT+ equality work at Swansea University. Email content will include LGBT+ events/initiatives at the university, LGBT+ news/events/initiatives in the Swansea community (where relevant), links to occasional relevant articles of interest, and any notable national news or policy changes.
The LGBT+ Allies Programme is led by Paul Marinaccio-Joseph.
The mailing list is private and will only ever be used for LGBT+ Allies Programme emails.
Why should I join?
- To keep up to date with LGBT+ news and equality work in Swansea University in an easy, effective way
- To show your support for LGBT+ equality and/or the LGBT+ community in Swansea University
- To learn more about LGBT+ issues
- To receive invitations to free LGBT+ Staff Network events
- To show that there is significant support and interest in LGBT+ issues at the University
- To build upon the University's reputation as an LGBT+ friendly institution
- You believe LGBT+ equality is important
- You value equality, diversity, and inclusivity
- To let the LGBT+ community know that Swansea is a safe and welcoming place.
Do I need to identify as LGBT+ to join?
No, the Allies Programme is open to all people who support LGBT+ equality, regardless or their sexual orientation and gender identity.
Do I need to be knowledgeable about LGBT+ issues to join?
Not at all! This email list is for information only, and there is no expectation on your part. If anyone comes to you with any queries relating to LGBT+, feel free to direct them to Paul Marinaccio-Joseph, or the LGBT+ Staff Network, and we'll be happy to help.
What is the difference between the LGBT+ Allies Programme and the LGBT+ Staff Network?
The LGBT+ Staff Network is a private group which is only open to Swansea University staff who identify as LGBT+. This is a separate list to the Allies Programme. The LGBT+ Staff Network hosts social events, networking opportunities, workshops and training, as well as providing information and guidance on matters relating to LGBT+. The Network hosts both private events for members only (which are only advertised within the Network), and public events that are open to all staff and students.
Who runs the LGBT+ Allies Programme?
This is run/administered by LGBT+ Allies Lead Paul Marinaccio-Joseph, supported by LGBT+ Staff Network. To get in touch, email us.
What do I get when I join?
You get a thank you email when you first sign up, informing you that you have been placed on the list. You will then receive an email every month, as outlined above. If you would also like any guidance/information/handouts for information, please get in touch and we'll be happy to send you some.
To join the LGBT+ Allies Programme, or if you have any questions, please email us.
Annual LGBT Holidays 2020
- Holocaust Memorial Day: 27 January
- LGBT History Month: February
- International Transgender Day of Visibility: 31 March
- Day of Silence: 25 April
- International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia (IDAHO): 17 May
- Pride Month: June
- Bi Visibility Day: 23 September
- National Coming Out Day: 11 October
- Spirit Day: 15 October
- Transgender Day of Remembrance: 20 November
- World AIDS Day: 01 December