• What date in January will my programme start?
The semester dates are listed here.
Arrivals start on 15th January, Welcome, Enrolment and Induction will be from 18th January and Teaching will begin on 25th January
• My programme only has a September start date advertised. Can I start the same programme in January instead?
If your programme is not advertised as having a January start date, you will not be able to change from September to January.
• My programme only has a September start date advertised. Can I start a different programme in January instead?
We currently have a selection of courses that will start in January in addition to September. You can make an application for a different programme that starts in January.
• Will there be an induction and welcome programme in January?
Yes – there will be an induction and welcome programme that will take place in January.
• Do you still provide pre-sessional English courses for January Entry?
Yes! Find out more here.
• Do you offer Pre-Master’s Programmes?
Yes, If you do not meet the entry requirements for your chosen course you will be pleased to learn that we have a number of one semester Pre-Master’s programmes, both online and face-to-face, starting this January via our pathway College. Visit The College’s Postgraduate Pathways pages for more information
• What are the semester and term dates?
Find out semester and term dates here: swansea.ac.uk/study/semesterandtermdates
• Will my programme be taught on campus in January?
Due to the government restrictions on social distancing that are currently in place, it is difficult to predict what the situation will be in January at this stage but it is likely that courses will be delivered in a dual way to give both online and face-to-face teaching. Face-to-face teaching will be delivered in a blended format with no large lectures to begin with. More detailed information about the teaching, learning and student experience at Swansea will be released soon.
• Can I still apply to stay in university accommodation if my programme now starts in January?
Yes, you can apply to stay in university accommodation if your programme starts in January. Our Residential Services team will ensure you have somewhere to live either on or off campus. There is also a good range of student accommodation in the private sector across the city.
• What is the deadline for submitting my documents? What is the deadline for paying my deposit?
Your CAS will not be released until you have paid your deposit and send all supporting documents listed on our CAS webpages.
There is no specific cut-off date for issuing CAS statements. The deadline for submitting documents will depend on the latest enrolment date of your course, as well as the visa processing times. Visa applications made outside the UK should be processed within 15 working days. Priority and super priority services may also be available in your country. You should contact your visa application centre to confirm availability. More information can be found on the UK Government website.
We strongly encourage you to send the required documents as soon as possible. This is to avoid any delays and give us sufficient time to process your application. Please note that CAS statement can take up to 10 working days from the date that all required documents have been submitted.
• When will my enrolment instructions be sent out?
Enrolment instructions will be sent to candidates who have accepted offers and have met all conditions of offer week commencing 30th November 2020. Information will also be available here.
• Will I lose my deposit and be asked to pay again if I defer from September to January?
No – if you have paid a deposit and defer your start date until January, your deposit will be held on account. You will not be required to pay a further deposit.
• When will a CAS be issued?
The Admissions Office will email you a CAS when you have fulfilled the following steps:
Received an unconditional offer or had your conditional place confirmed as unconditional
Accepted your offer
Completed a Previous Study Questionnaire
Provided a recent reference
Provided clear copies of the Certificate/Transcripts used to admit you to the course
Provided a clear copy of your current Passport
Sent us your English Language Test results (if appropriate)
Paid your deposit/submitted an official sponsor letter
For full information on how to obtain a CAS, find out more here.
Fees and Scholarships
• If part of my course is online will I pay a reduced fee?
The University has taken major steps in altering its delivery to ensure that teaching, learning and assessment can continue. The University is committed to supporting you to engage with your studies. Major efforts by University staff have ensured there is wide-ranging support for active learning and progression, resources can be accessed, assessments can proceed where appropriate or offered with alternative arrangements and wellbeing and employability support is available. Therefore in common with other Universities, Swansea University will not be issuing tuition fee refunds.
University scholarships and bursaries are available for programmes starting in January: International & EU scholarships,
UK scholarships - Undergraduate and Postgraduate
• If I choose to start the term in September, and I want to suspend (defer) to January part way through (e.g. November), will I have to pay extra or will the fee I have paid defer to January?
If a student enrols in September then subsequently suspends (defers), tuition fees will be reduced pro-rata against the September course based on the number of weeks of engagement and the full fee charged against the January course. Any credit resulting from a fee reduction of the September course will carry forward to the January course.
• Are there scholarships available for the January intake?
Yes there are scholarships available for January. Find out more information on the Scholarships page.
• I have a scholarship for a Postgraduates course starting in September. Will I still receive it if I start the programme in January instead?
Yes if your scholarship is awarded by Swansea University it will be transferred to January.