Support for Care Leavers

The prospect of attending university is exciting, but we understand it can also be a daunting. Participation@CampusLife provide tailored advice, opportunities and information to eligible Care Leavers.  We can help you to access information and guidance on a variety of issues including accommodation, academic support, and finances, allowing you to make positive and informed decisions about your study and university experience.


The information below outlines the support package for eligible Care Leavers. If you have care experience, have been under guardianship care, have no living parents or are someone living in local authority supported accommodation, please get in touch to discuss your circumstances and to establish the support available to you.


Informing the University of your status

The best way to inform us that you are a Care Leaver is by ticking the box in the care question on your UCAS application. By ticking the box, we’ll be able to get in touch with you, outline the support available and help with any questions you have before you arrive at University. Don’t worry if you forget to tick the box on your UCAS application, you or your Social Services Team can email to notify us of your status. 

Identifying yourself as a Care Leaver will not negatively affect your application to the University and your status will remain confidential. By ticking the box, the University will only use the information to ensure you receive the appropriate support and grade reduction, if applicable. Your Care Leaver status will not be passed onto your department.

University is a new chapter for students, and we understand that you may want to move away from your Care Leaver status. Letting us know that you are a Care Leaver will help us notify you of the support available however, it’s completely your decision whether you chose to access the support or not. If you choose not to, our door is always open if you change your mind.

To provide you with support, we won’t need to know why you have been in care so we’ll never ask about your care experience.


How do I qualify for support? Access Officer

What support is available?

What pre-entry support is available?

Financial Assistance to Attend Interviews and Open Days
Our Access Officer can help organise your visit and arrange to meet you. Travel costs can be reimbursed (this will usually include 2nd class rail travel and other public transport costs).

Care Leavers Compact Deal
As a ‘Compact Student’ you will receive a reduction in your required A-level grade (or equivalent) which will reduce our requirements by one A-level grade (or equivalent). Terms and Conditions apply.

Accommodation Deposit Advice
When you are offered accommodation, you’ll need to pay a deposit to secure your accommodation. If you are worried about these costs, please get in touch to discuss your options.  

What support is available whilst studying? What support is available prior to graduation?

Social Workers and Professionals

If you are working with a Care Leaver who is considering applying to Swansea University and you have some questions about the application process, funding or the support available, we'll be happy to answer any general questions you have but would require consent from the person concerned to discuss individual circumstances.

To be able to assess an applicant / student’s eligibility to access the additional support offered to eligible Care Leavers, we require a letter from their personal adviser or social worker which confirms the young person’s Care Leaver status. The letter will need to be on headed paper, signed, dated and in PDF format and should include the young person’s name, date of birth, dates in which the young person was in local authority care and confirmation that their time in care meets our eligibility criteria.

We do not require copies of sensitive documents relating to a young person’s time in care, professional reports and / or court order proceedings, so please do not provide these.  If you are unsure what evidence to provide, please get in touch in the first instance.


All information dealt with by Participation@CampusLife is done so in the strictest confidence. On the occasions that we need to consult staff from other department, or external organisations, we only do so with prior consent from you.

Contact Us

If you would like to get in touch, please email 

Current students must use their student email when contacting Participation@CampusLife.