What is a CAS?

International students applying for a Tier 4 Student Visa will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number. This number confirms to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) that you have been accepted to study at a valid UK university. Once you have met a number of conditions, including accepting an unconditional offer, you will be sent a CAS statement that will confirm your CAS number.

Obtaining your CAS

Frequently Asked Questions

When will I receive my CAS?

We can only begin working on your CAS statement once you have provided all the necessary information as per the above instructions. CAS statements can take up to 10 working days to be issued. However, we endeavour to have them sent sooner and in most cases students get them quicker than this date. You are strongly encouraged to provide the necessary documents as soon as possible.

Will I receive joint CAS?

Students can be sent a joint CAS covering a single pre-sessional English course and degree course. However, only students studying on the Level 2 or Level 3 pre-sessional courses are eligible. The criteria are as follows:

10 Week Level 2 Programme

  • Applicants cannot have an individual IELTS component score below 5.5; and
  • Applicants must be no more than 0.5 below the IELTS overall requirement and no more than 0.5 below in any two of the component requirements. Where 6.0 is required in each component applicants must also have achieved 6.0 in at least two of the components.

8 Week Level 3 Programme

  • Applicants cannot have an individual IELTS component score below 5.5; and
  • Applicants must meet the IELTS overall requirement, meet the Writing component requirement and be no more than 0.5 below any other component requirements; or
  • Applicants must meet each IELTS component requirement and be no more than 0.5 below the overall requirement


In addition to the above requirements, applicants must also have met the academic requirements for their chosen programme.

What is the deadline?

There is no specific cut-off date for issuing CAS statements. The deadline for submitting documents will depend on the latest enrolment date of your course, as well as the visa processing times in the country in which you are applying for your visa. Visa processing times for some countries can be located on the Home Office website.

However, we do strongly encourage you to send the required documents as soon as possible. This is to avoid any delays and give us sufficient time to process your application. Please note that CAS statement can take up to 10 working days from the date that all required documents have been submitted.

How do I apply for my visa?

If you have any questions regarding the visa application process then please get in touch with International@CampusLife. They are trained immigration advisors who should be able to assist you.

Do I need a Secure English Language Test (IELTS for UKVI)?

Students studying below degree level may need to take a government approved Secure English Language Test called an IELTS for UKVI. For more information check our How to Apply pages or our IELTS for UKVI flowchart.

Where can I find more information on ATAS?

You can find more information on ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) on our visa application pages or via the FCO website.

I have a query

If you have any questions on how to receive your CAS statement then please email cas.admissions@swansea.ac.uk.

You can also download our CAS Issuing Policy for more detailed guidance.


Our trained immigration advisors are on hand to help you through the visa application process.

They can also assist with any queries about being an international student in the UK that you might have.