Non-Standard Course Length

Lady sat at desk in accommodation room on her laptop with personal belongings around her

Not all courses start and end at the same times, and this will impact your accommodation application. Standard courses are the 'typical' 42-44 Week Undergraduate course length. You can check your term dates here.

If your course starts weeks before the 'typical' academic year, or runs for only part of it, then we can help. You will need to provide your course dates within your application for accommodation and we can try and support you by offering suitable accommodation.

Swansea University Medical School and School of Health and Social Care Students

We try to house students on non-standard length courses together so that they do not end up living on their own in accommodation at the start and the end of their course. We want you to have the best experience living in our accommodation and to enable you to live with students experiencing a similar student lifestyle which may involve placements or shift working.

Tenancy lengths for the courses below run at different times of the year to most of the degree courses within the University:


  • Advanced Practice
  • Applied Software Engineering (Apprenticeship)
  • Apprenticeship Degrees (Coleg Cambria)
  • Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP)
  • Community Health Studies
  • Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT)
  • Enhanced Paramedic Practice
  • Enhanced Professional Practice
  • Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM)
  • Healthcare Science
  • Law, Legal Practice, Advanced Drafting, LPC (LLM)
  • Maternity Care
  • Midwifery
  • Nursing (Adult/Child/Mental Health) - Year 1
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Operating Department Practice
  • Osteopathy
  • Paramedic Science
  • Peri-operative Care
  • PGCE Primary or Secondary with QTS
  • Physician Associate
  • Social Work


When applying for accommodation online, you will need to make the following selection:
• Within ‘Application Category’, select: HEALTH SCIENCE COURSES (Nurses, Healthcare, etc.)

If you would prefer to be housed elsewhere and not live with other students studying courses with non-standard dates, please be aware that you will need to secure alternative accommodation between the start of your course, and the main University arrivals period.

If you require a change in contract dates, please contact us with the revised date, clearly outlining the required change and we can try to support you with this. If you have already been allocated accommodation, and the dates change, you may be reallocated to a different flat. This is so that you will be starting at the same time as students studying the same course dates as you.

If your course of study follows standard dates, then you may apply to live in any of our accommodation.

Visiting and Exchange Students